Tuesday, September 8, 2009
12 @ 12: Catching up on a busy weekend
It was a busy weekend in the hoops world (and beyond) and there is a lot to cover in today’s edition of 12 @ 12.
1. James McAdoo (pictured) is the newest Tar Heel. As I mentioned last Friday, he was the most important visitor in Chapel Hill over the weekend. Michael Gilchrist has a choke hold on the top spot in the class of 2011 and Marquis Teague has tight grasp on the second spot in the class. McAdoo current sits at No. 4 in the class by the National Hoops Report. But he could be a guy that jumps a spot. The Virginia native is the best big man that Roy Williams has lured to Chapel Hill since Tyler Hansbrough. He’ll be a major impact guy for the Heels before shaking hands with David Stern.
2. I was a little surprised to read the news that Michael Cobbins, a 6-foot-9 forward from Texas, committed to Oklahoma State. He makes perfect sense for the Cowboys. But the timing caught me off guard. Thought he'd visit more schools before making his decision.
3. Indiana scored Victor Oladipo, a big-time athlete from the famed DeMatha Catholic program, over the weekend. Love this commitment for the Hoosiers. He fits the mold of guard that Tom Crean loves to have. Oladipo will have a fine career in Bloomington.
4. This commitment went under the radar but remember the name and school. Texas big man John Bohannon of Lancaster High School pledged to the Miners. The 6-foot-10 big man is a high potential player that never really seemed to tap into his natural talent to bring in the high-majors. But he's a guy to watch. There is always one mid-major big man commitment that pans out on the national level every year. Bohannon could be that guy.
5. Would love to hear your opinions on who the best college basketball beat reporter is out there. Have a suggestion on who covers a team the very best, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Want something to read today during lunch? Print this off, find a good deli, take an hour and enjoy a Tuesday.
7. I’m amazed more people aren’t talking about Ole Miss guard Terrico White. He’s a pro. He’s a big time athlete. He’s a big time scorer. He has a pro body. And Ole Miss could be a big time team this season.
8. Fox Sports college basketball writer Jeff Goodman says you should get to know these 25 players this college season.
9. North Carolina State posted a link on its official Twitter page last week looking for an opinion on the new N.C. State hoops jersey. The people spoke and the jersey is now a rare piece of sports memorabilia. (TSN) Now if they went untucked like Marquette, they'd be so money.
10. The National Hoops Report will spend the weekend at the Elite 75 Battle of Classes at the University of South Carolina this Saturday. The one-day event features the top players in the Carolinas.
11. The Georgia Hoops Fall Showcase is back and will be held Oct. 17. The event is open to players outside of the state of Georgia for the first time ever. The camp is open but only for Division I prospects. For more information, email me at email@example.com.
12. College football is here. Here’s my dozen non-basketball thoughts from the long weekend:
A. Oklahoma State wide receiver Dez Bryant is the next Anquan Boldin.
B. Florida played Charleston Southern? USC played San Jose State? Texas played UL Monroe? And one of these teams will play for a National Championship. Great BCS system.
C. Oklahoma’s Sam Bradford is lucky to have bought an insurance policy.
D. Every game of the week should be played at the new Cowboys Stadium in Dallas.
E. What happened to all of the offense we saw last year in college football?
F. What a fourth quarter drive by BYU’s Max Hall against Oklahoma! He went nine for 10 in the winning drive and just picked apart the Sooners.
G. What a fourth quarter performance by Alabama’s Mark Ingram against Virginia Tech! He tallied 99 total yards and two touchdowns in the win at the Georgia Dome.
H. Big Ten is embarrassingly bad football.
I. Is Miami football back? No, Florida State is just overrated.
J. I’m buying Cincinnati as a Big East sleeper this year. I’m calling 10 wins for the Bearcats.
K. Who is Kenny Chesney and why is he ruining Saturdays?
L. Football coaches must chase their Red Bulls with Monster Energy drinks. Those dudes have mastered nervous energy.